UPDATED AT 10 AM:
Can it get any closer? The State Board of Elections website shows that the last vote count added to the Election 2020 total occurred Tuesday morning. In the race for Chief Justice of the North Carolina Supreme Court, Republican Paul Newby maintains a lead of 367 votes over Democrat Cheri Beasley. That’s 367 votes out of 5,391,437 cast. WOW.
Why is this race — and every seat on the North Carolina Supreme Court — so hotly contested? Because the high court decides constitutional questions. Through the North Carolina constitution, we are assured that:
- Fundamental rights are protected.
- Loved ones and property are secure.
- Equal justice is delivered.
- Those who violate the public trust face consequences.
- The three branches of government are respected.
- The power of each branch of government is checked.