In order to bring down health care costs in NC, the state legislature needs to focus on both supply-side and demand-side health care reforms.
- Create a system for recognizing out-of-state health care licenses.
- Codify an inclusive definition of telehealth practices and who can use telehealth.
- Allow for telehealth across state lines.
- Reject mandates on telehealth coverage or payment.
- Grant full practice authority to highly trained nursing professionals.
- Expand pharmacists’ scope of practice to include testing and treating of non-chronic diseases.
- Repeal Certificate of Need (CON).
To address the demand and coverage options, the General Assembly should consider a state innovation waiver that offers several ways to lower the cost of care expanding the reach of coverage to more individuals.