Health Affairs released a new report detailing overall health spending for 2018. Here are the numbers:
- National health expenditures = National health expenditures rose 4.6% to 3.6 trillion in 2018. Health expenditures accounted for 17.7% of GDP, slightly down from 17.9% in 2017.
- Private health insurance = Private health insurance expenditures rose 5.8% to $1.2 trillion.
- Medicare = Total Medicare spending grew to $750 billion, rising 6.4% over 2017 spending.
- Medicaid = Medicaid spent $597 billion, an increase of 3% from 2017.
- Per capita expenditures = Per capita, health expenditures grew 5.4% to $11,172.
- Federal government spending = health care spending grew 5.6% in 2018, compared to a rate of 2.8% in 2017.