Today, the NC State Board of Education approved 11 of 15 appointments to the new Public Charter School Advisory Council.
- Kwan Graham, Parent and Parent Liaison Initiative leader for Parents for Educational Freedom in NC (PEFNC)
- Jenny Adams, Retired teacher
- John Betterton, Public charter school principal
- Alfred Dillon, Former public charter school board member
- Richard Hooker, Local business owner & school board member
- Dr. Tim Markley, Superintendent of New Hanover County Schools
- Aaron Means, Former KIPP Charlotte board member
- Dr. Rebecca Shore, UNC Charlotte professor, former teacher and school administrator
- Paul J. Norcross, Phoenix Academy Charter School co-founder and board member, NC Alliance for Public Charter Schools
- Baker Mitchell Jr., Roger Bacon Academy Charter School co-founder (Full disclosure: He serves on the John Locke Foundation Board of Directors)
- Dr. Robert Landry, Former school teacher, principal and superintendent
So far, so good. This list includes a number of appointees that are very active in North Carolina’s charter school movement.