Yes, there was an election in Canada and Conservatives won big. Conservative Stephen Harper was re-elected prime minister and his party won 167 seats. The NDP [New Democratic Party] gained 102, Liberals won 34, the Bloc Québécois scored four, and the Green Party squeaked out one. It was a humiliating defeat for the Liberals.
The Conservatives established five priorities for their campaign:
- Create jobs, through training, trade, and low taxes;
- Support families, through our Family Tax Cut, and more support for seniors and caregivers;
- Eliminate the deficit by 2014-15, by controlling spending and cutting waste;
- Make our streets safe, through new laws to protect children and the elderly; and
- Cracking down on human smuggling and strengthening the Canadian Armed Forces.
Good luck to our Canadian allies.
And keep up with Canadian public policy by reading the work of the Fraser Institute.