About: Rick Henderson
Managing Editor, Carolina Journal, John Locke Foundation
Recent Posts by Rick Henderson
In the latest CJ Online news story, Barry Smith reports that Judge Robert Hobgood has allowed funding to go forward for the Opportunity Scholarship Program, letting 2,400 low-income students attend private schools this fall. Hobgood also allowed Senate leader Phil Berger and House Speaker Thom Tillis intervene in the lawsuit. Read Barry’s story here.
At CJ Online, Dan Way reports that the House earlier today unanimously rejected the Senate’s proposed Medicaid reforms. Leaders in both chambers continue to say Medicaid needs to be fixed, lending credence to rumors that the General Assembly will adjourn for several weeks or months and return to deal with the tax-funded health insurance programContinue Reading
• Democratic U.S. Sen. Kay Hagan rolls out a new ad saying she’s a bipartisan centrist. • Hagan’s GOP opponent, House Speaker Thom Tillis, R-Mecklenburg, takes on Democratic Attorney General Roy Cooper’s decision not to defend the state’s lawsuit protecting the constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage. • The massive CBS News/New York Times/YouGov poll of 100,000Continue Reading
• With Monday’s ruling by the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overturning the ban on same-sex marriage in North Carolina and other states in the circuit’s jurisdiction, Attorney General Roy Cooper (a likely 2016 Democratic candidate for governor) says there’s no reason to continue defending the constitutional amendment. State Senate leader Phil Berger saysContinue Reading
• A new Pew Research Center poll shows Republican voters are more enthusiastic than their Democratic fellows to cast ballots in the November midterms. But the “enthusiasm gap” is less than it was in 2010, when the GOP routed the Democrats nationwide. Even so, President Obama is less popular among Democrats now than he wasContinue Reading
• The Karl Rove-founded Crossroads GPS runs an ad using a statement by Democratic U.S. Sen. Kay Hagan opposing the expanding federal debt to attack her for voting to increase the debt ceiling and refusing to support a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution. • 2nd Congressional District Democratic nominee Clay Aiken made a low-profileContinue Reading
• Billionaire hedge fund manager Jim Simons, a Democrat who’s one of the major financiers of the Senate Majority PAC — which has run a host of ads attacking Republican U.S. Senate nominee Thom Tillis — is under siege by senators of both parties — and the IRS. The Washington Free Beacon reports that the Simon-runContinue Reading
For those of us who have the dialogue from “Office Space” memorized, or who have Dilbert embedded in our Yahoo home pages, here’s a geniune treat from the brilliant new Weird Al Yankovic album “Mandatory Fun.” (His first No. 1 Billboard album!) Think Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young meet every management-consultant cliché in existence. Enjoy.
Written on July 23, 2014 at 12:55 pm
Recent Comments by Rick Henderson
- July 24, 2014 on WRAL interviews mother of NCAE activist
- May 22, 2014 on Which word is more offensive, ‘Redskins’ or ‘Washington’?
- March 28, 2014 on Dispatches from the campaign trail, March 28, 2014
- March 3, 2014 on Judge Hobgood’s order striking down vouchers
- November 20, 2013 on N&O: Reductio ad Kocham