For the left to dismiss other Americans as having a dark view of America is preposterous.
Because no one — not Trump, not the Republican Party, not any conservative — has nearly as dark a view of America as does the left.
Across the board — from the universities to the media to the Democratic Party — the left, around the world and in America, has an unremittingly dark view of the United States.
Here’s a brief glimpse.
–Racism “is part of our (American) DNA,” President Barack Obama said in 2015. Is there anything Trump said in his acceptance speech that is as dark about America as that?
–On July Fourth weekend, Vox published a long column arguing “3 reasons the American Revolution was a mistake.”
–The most widely read historian in American high schools and colleges, the late left-wing professor Howard Zinn, was asked (by me) whether he thought the United States had done more good or more bad in the world. “Probably more bad than good,” he answered.
–The left regularly characterizes the United States as a sexist, intolerant, xenophobic, homophobic, Islamophobic, racist and bigoted country.
–Our wars are wars for imperialist expansion, driven by material greed.
CARTOONS | Henry Payne
–The top 1 percent relentlessly exploits the other 99 percent.
–America is rigged against blacks, Hispanics and the 99 percent.
–Cops kill unarmed blacks proportionately more than they kill unarmed whites because so many cops are racist.
–About 1 in 5 female college students are sexually assaulted on campus.
Is there anything in Trump’s speech that can match any of those left-wing views of the United States for “darkness”?